Re: Another Clutch Question

To: aledotr6@aol.com
Subject: Re: Another Clutch Question
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 14:14:24 -0800
Bud---You didn't write as to how much your slave pushrod moves
(rearward) when the clutch pedal is depressed, so I'll assume it was
close to 1/2 inch. I take it that the return stroke is substantially
less than this.
This is usually from a broken fork pin, and you didn't mention this
(pin) as part of your previous parts replacemants.
One more step should be included as you chase this thing down, and given
that it's been reported several times lately, let's also check the
crankshaft fore and aft movement. This is done (externally) by pushing
the front timing pulley rearward. Lever it with a stick or something,
against the tubular cross bar. Then lever it forward. (Some like to
depress the clutch pedal for this motion) It can also be done by wedging
something between the timing cover and the pulley. On an engine with
good thrust washers, this motion should should be barely noticeable. If
you see movement of around 1/16" or more, then this could be a major
reason for the clutch to not return the linkage to the slave cylinder.

Note that on an engine that is NOT yet running, this may not apply.
Pumping the clutch pedal would push the crankshaft to its most forward
position and it should stay there. The stroke of the SC pushrod would
then be the same, both directions.... Unless the cross shaft pin was
broken!

Dick

From: Bud

I know there's been lots of discussion about the triumph clutch, but I
haven't seen my particular question addressed specifically. Hope someone
can help.
I have replaced everything on my system. New master, slave, clutch,
bearing, lever arm, and hose (with a braided hose). It has been bled.
When pressing the pedal down, it feels as though the lever arm doesn't
come into contact with the pressure plate until the pedal is at least
half way through its range of motion. In other words, the first half of
the movement is really soft, then firms up significantly the rest of the
way.
Watching the slave while someone else pushes the pedal, the cylinder
moves the entire time, BUT, when the pedal is released, the slave
cylinder only returns about half way to its full range. Pulling the
clutch arm will push the cylinder back the full distance.
I keep thinking there is air in the system, but I have bled it three
times already. I haven't road tested yet, because I want to make sure it
is OK first.
I just want to check if this is how it is supposed to work or should the
slave cylinder move back to its furthest possible position?
Thanks,
Bud Trussell