Starter fails to engage after trannie install

To: "Triumph 6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter fails to engage after trannie install
From: "John North" <johncnorth@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 14:50:56 -0500
OK, seems like I bombing the list every time I get a problem but...

Just reinstalled the flywheel, clutch and trannie after doing the
crank rear seal etc.   Everything went back together fine and looks
good.   Crank shaft turns, clutch works.   But when I try to start,
the starter activates but does not engage the flywheel to turn the
motor.

I have tested the solenoid by unhooking the battery cable to the
solenoid, then turning the ignition switch.   I can hear the the drive
gear hit the housing as the solenoid activates.   But when the battery
cable is hooked up, all I hear is a whirring from the starter.   I
cannot distinguish the sound of the solenoid over the starter but I
assume it is activating.

So if the starter is functioning properly, then I have to start
thinking I did not install the flywheel properly.   I can see the
flywheel through the starter hole, and I can measure the distance from
the flywheel to the edge of the starter hole.   This is .75 inches,
and it corresponds to the distance from the starter rim to the leading
edge of the drive gear.   So it seems that the drive gear should
engage the flywheel when the solenoid activates.

I cannot figure out any way that I could have misaligned the flywheel
so that the starter is no longer close enough to the flywheel to
engage it even when activated.

Before I start pulling the trannie all over, does anyone have a
suggestion for what might be wrong?

Any help appreciated

John North