Re: Empty Clutch Master Cylinder

To: "James Jerrel" <jmjerrel@email.dnet.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Empty Clutch Master Cylinder
From: emanteno@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 01:26:12 +0000
From: "James Jerrel" <jmjerrel@email.dnet.net>

> I eventually opened the clutch master cylinder and it was empty! This
> also has never happened before. I did not see any fluid around the master
> cylinder or on the inside of the engine bay. There were some fluid leaks on
>the
> mats I have under the car but I just assumed it was oil as my car has always
> leaked oil here and there. Now I am wondering if this was the fluid in the
> master cylinder??? Can anyone give me an idea as to what may have occurred
>and
> where the fluid from the clutch MC may have leaked out from?
It is very possible that you will find the fluid in the slave cylinder, beyond
the slave cylinder piston and seal but still inside the cylinder due to the
tight fit of the boot over the pushrod. I had this exact failure on both of my
TR's, my TR6 and my vintage race TR4 that uses a complete TR6 clutch hydraulic
set up. In both cases, the master was empty, the pedal had no resistance, and
there was no fluid on the floor under the car. But, when I pulled the boot off
of the end of both slaves, there it was.
You can rebuild or replace the slave alone, but if the seal fails in 1
cylinder, can the seal in the master be far behind?
HTH,
Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
Highland Park, IL