RE: brake line options

To: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>,
Subject: RE: brake line options
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:13:12 -0800
        Stan:

        I replaced all of my brake lines as part of my frame off on my
74-1/2 TR6.
I used the Moss kit, which is not SS but rather is cupronickel (Copper
with 40% Nickel).
It won't corrode and is very easy to install. I was using a tubing
bender but found
that I got better results just bending it by hand.
        The kit has all the tubes pre-cut, flared, and fittings
installed with new hangers
for the frame. My only complaint was that one of the fittings was too
short to
engage the threads in the MC, so I cut off the fitting and replaced it
with the
original fitting from my old, very rusty brake lines (I already had a
tubing flare tool).
        The fittings are brass, which means you must use a proper brake
fitting wrench
or you will round off the fittings when you tighten them.
        I switched to DOT 5 fluid when I did the brakes, to avoid
peeling paint and to
prevent rust in my newly rebuilt brake calipers. I have been running DOT
5 for over a
year with no issues. If you use DOT 5, you will not be able to use a
vacuum bleeder,
as DOT 5 tends to foam and prevent a good bleed, so you will need to
bleed the old
fashioned way.

        Cheers,

        Vance