Re: steering column wobble

To: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Subject: Re: steering column wobble
From: "John North" <johncnorth@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 21:10:08 -0400
The Bentley's procedure is fairly straighforward, and easy to follow.
 It's a little cramped in there...   Take photos as you go, because
you won't remember how things fit back together.

One tricky part is removing the sheared off bolts that hold the
ignition switch on to the column.   You have to twist the column
around so you can get to the bolts from under the dash.   Folks have
used a dremmel to cuts slots in the bolts and then screwed them out.
I bought a stud removal tool from Sears (you can never have too many
tools).

Getting the bushes out can also be a bit tricky.   You need to cut off
the ears that stick into the outer column and hold the bushing in
place, then drive them out.   One drives out with the column itself.
The other I got with a piece of 1" (I think) plastic water pipe.

The OD wires are easy to get in when you have the column off.   Just
pack them all in the channel and feed the whole column back into the
dash.

Good luck

John  North