RE: Keep a crank?

To: "Joe Merone" <jmerone@rocketmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Keep a crank?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 11:36:25 -0700
        Joe:

        The crank is not normally replaced as part of a rebuild. If the
crank has been worn excessively or the journals are scored, then the
crank is "ground". This means that the journals ground down to be 0.010"
undersized, and oversized bearings are installed to make up the
difference. A crank can be ground more than once, or can be ground more
than 0.010"
depending on the particular history of the engine.
        The one exception to this is rather unique to the TR6; worn
thrust washers. If the thrust washers fall out, then the crank can move
enough to hit the block while spinning, which will render the block and
crank unusable in very short order. In this case, both the block and
crank need to be replaced, typically with a used set which will in turn
be ground to bring the journals into spec. Some people have had the
block and/or crank repaired, but this normally costs much more than a
used engine. Still, if you want that numbers matching restoration....
        I don't know how the NOS crank has been stored, but I would be
surprised if the crank did not need at least a journal polish before
being used. So I would not expect to save a huge amount of money over
reconditioning my old crank. It cost me $90 to have the crank crack
checked, ground 0.010" under and polished.
        Personally, I would sell the crank, and bank the money for that
rebuild. Perhaps for a mild performance cam =:-o

        Cheers,

        Vance