Re: Keep a Crank?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Keep a Crank?
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 11:18:36 -0700
 Joe---With the 94K on your engine, all you may need is to have the
journals machined .010 undersized. New bearings are available for this.
The need to have work done on the crank is usually determined by the
amount of journal scoring and out of round one finds when measuring
them.
The specs for the crank can be found in any good TR repair manual. You
can compare your "spare" to these figures to determine its value (and
assuming it's straight).
There is no penalty for turning down the crank a couple of times. When
done properly, oil pressure is resumed to near new.

Dick

From: jmerone@rocketmail.com(Joe Merone) Listers:
I have come to posses a NOS crankshaft for a TR6 that I don't know
exactly what to do with.
Background: The original engine in my car has 94K
miles on it and I average 3-4K miles per year. It runs strong and has
decent compression (130-140 dry, 142-155 wet) with good vacuum. I think
that I may be looking at a rebuild in the near future however as it is
32 years old, uses oil, and is getting a little tired.

Questions: Is the crank something that's
automatically replaced when doing a rebuild or is the original one
reworked? What factors would determine this?

Being a good boy scout I want to be prepared, but the new crank that I
have is just taking up space in my garage and it may sit there for a
number of years. I'd rather sell it if it could be of use to someone
else now or use it for a good boat mooring.
Joe Merone
CF18928U