Brake hose and fluid questions

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake hose and fluid questions
From: "John VanNorman" <jvannorman@wowway.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 14:39:56 -0500
Okay, I'll be doing some brake work in the near future (replacing the master
cylinder, servo, new pads, maybe
installing steel brake hoses to replace the old rubber ones).  I have two
questions:

(1) Any recommendations/warnings on vendors for the steel brake hoses?  I've
seen some fairly expensive ones, but I
don't have a ton of money to burn (got the first born kid on the way in
October!).  Of course, at the same time, since
they're kind of important, I want to avoid buying junk that will endanger my
life! Any impressions on ones from the big
3?

(2) I'm probably reopening a can of worms here, but would people mind giving me
a quick overview of the pros and cons
of switching from the Castrol GT LMA fluid that I currently use to DOT 5?  I
read an article in Hemmings Motor News
about switching to silicone fluid, which got me thinking that if I am going to
make the leap, now is the time to do
it.  From what I can gather reading the archives, the topic of switching brake
fluids is a debated topic, to say the
least.  I've gone through the archives and now I'm really uncertain - I don't
know which is better for my purposes
(which is primarily "spirited" fun driving with winter storage of the car with
no racing).  And those of you who did
switch to DOT 5, any tips or instructions (such as how you went about
"cleaning" the old stuff out) would be great in
case I do decide to go that route.

John V.
1974 1/2 TR6
Get a job that lets you "analyze" or "evaluate"
something as opposed to actually "doing" something.
When you evaluate something you get to criticize
the works of others.  If you "do" something, other
people get to criticize you.

Scott Adams
The Dilbert Principle