Re: TR6 Wheel Woes

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Wheel Woes
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 12:11:33 -0700
Andy---Short of a new hub, your thought about using the JBWeld would
probably work. You'll want to be sure that the race is centered in the
hub, after using a filler.

An electric pencil might also tighten up the race and hub, but .003 is
quite a bit.

Carroll Smith writes about using a product called "Bearing Lock" as a
(temporary way of securing bearings in situtations such as yours.

Dick

From: aschwarz11@comcast.net(Andy Schwarz)
After cleaning the front wheel bearings and hubs, I found that the outer
race, in the right side unit, will rotate. It was easy to remove. It
looks like it has rotated in the past, but there is no galling on either
side. Here are the measurements:
Bore: 1.6260. OD of race: 1.6257. As this is only a clearance of .0003,
is
there any way to fix this? I thought of trying to get a new race, but
since some of the wear is probably also in the hub it would still be
loose. One thing that I am considering is to grind a small notch in the
mating surfaces of the hub and race, line up the notches and put JB Weld
in them.
Another piece of good news is that I discovered that a rotor thickness
check showed a reading of .455 or only .005 over the minimum stamped on
the rotor. And, they do need to be turned. So, it looks like new rotors
are in order. Any suggestions for sources? I believe that I read
somewhere to look out for some imports as the quality is not good.
Thanks for any help.
Andy
70 TR6
Renton, WA