Re: Inner Ball Joint

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Inner Ball Joint
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:20:38 -0700
 Robert---I recall a 6pack article written by Len Renkenberger that
stated that this part should be shimmed so that when the nut was
tightened, the arm should "drop slowly by its own weight".

Dick
From: RobertBreazeale@msn.com(Robert Breazeale) Date: Fri, Apr 28,
2006, 1:38pm To: 6pack@autox.team.net (6pack) Subject: Inner Ball Joint
I'm in the middle of a front suspension rebuild on my TR-250. I'm only
doing one side at a time, and am currently working on the passenger
side. I've torn everything down and cleaned all the bits and pieces. I'm
now starting to put everything back together.
I have a question on how tight to tighten the "housing" around the inner
pin ball (the one inside the steering boot) against the sleeve and
locknut on the steering rack. This is the place where the funky little
tab washer sits.
I can't seem to find reference to how tight to tighten this in Bently or
Haynes. Is it just tight enough so the pin ball arm can still rotate? Or
is there a torque setting? Also should the tab washer be fitting tight?
Many thanks in advance for any and all advice.
For diagram see:
        http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=32787
Regards, - Robert -
'68 TR250 CD1553L