RE: Are stock TR6 engines balance externally- NOW benefit of

To: Mark Hooper <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Subject: RE: Are stock TR6 engines balance externally- NOW benefit of
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:20:55 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Mark Hooper wrote:

> Hi Vance:

[stuff deleted]

> So, while I will absolutely buy into the idea that, with the clutch
> disengaged, the rotating mass of the engine will be lighter making
> revving and matching gears quicker, I'd like to see an actual
> acceleration test to be convinced that the overall vehicle acceleration
> effect was significant.

Tests have been reported in GrassRoots Motorsports. I recall an article
by Tim Sharpe on the topic, although I could be wrong about the author.

Don't forget that in this instance, the torque multiplcation factor of the
tranny and diff come into play.

Trust me, it works. With all of maybe 145 HP in my race car, the
acceleration is "impressive". Most folks that have driven my car react the
same way - "Bob, this thing really scoots". Oh yeah!

> Cheers,
>
> Mark

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx