RE: Exhaust Manifold question

To: "Rick" <patton@suscom-maine.net>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Exhaust Manifold question
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 07:59:56 -0700
        Rick, Joe:

        Interesting comments on headers. I am still running the stock
manifold, but on my Z28 I installed Edelbrock headers (coated) and they
fit great, never leaked, and looked terrific.
        As for the seemingly minimal power improvement, recall that
headers generate power 2 ways; reduced back pressure and scavenging.
Scavenging results from the partial vacuum applied to the exhaust port
by virtue of the inertia of a moving column of gas - the gas moves down
the tube and has enough momentum that it "pulls" additional gases out of
the cylinder.
        Since the stock manifold has very low back pressure to start
with, the only benefit is from scavenging, in effect giving you only
half of the "typical" improvement from a header. At least, that is my
guess.
        I would think that if one had a free flowing muffler and the
stock manifold, that they would have a pretty decent setup. I would
still expect a header to be better, but from your experience, it sounds
as though it is definitely diminishing returns. A racer would want it,
but for a daily driver it may not be such a good deal.
        Great comments. Very informative.

        Cheers,

        Vance