RE: Exhaust Manifold question

To: "Mike Lunsford" <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Exhaust Manifold question
From: "Rick" <patton@suscom-maine.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 23:20:10 -0400
Mike,

I have to agree with Joe on this. Yes, the headers look cool but to me they
are not worth it. They are noisy, hot, and almost always leak. Working in an
auto parts store, I can't tell you how often someone comes in looking for
thicker gaskets or two sets to double up to fix leaks. I'm sticking with the
twin pipe cast manifold and adding a large single pipe system.

Last Fall I measured back pressure at the head pipes, below the manifold on
the late twin pipe exhaust. Naturally my readings don't reflect pressure
backed up in the manifold but from the manifold back there was barely 1LB of
backpressure at 5,000rpm. The gauge didn't even start to move off the pin
until 3500 rpm. Looks to me that the twin pipe system is pretty darn
efficient. I wonder if some of the noticeable power increase is more from
the sweet sound rather than less backpressure?

Same set up running a supercharger at 9lbs of boost showed 9lbs of
backpressure. I still haven't redone the piping yet but have just ordered a
2 1/2" Dynomax stainless muffler. Maybe next month's project.

Braced for flames-

Rick Patton
http://sidedrafttbi.com/index.htm
http://topshamautoparts.com/tr6/