55mph vibration

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: 55mph vibration
From: "Cary Henry" <caryhenry@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:35:11 -0400
I got the car back together today and took it for the first test run after
the frame off restoration began.  Driving it around was great, it handled
like a go cart and rode very nicely.  After driving around some residental
areas at 30mph, it was time for the highway.  I pulled on the highway and
everything was great until I hit 55mph.  The steering wheel started shaking
horribly and the right side front fender was vibrating badly.  I believe it
is a resonance problem because it comes in around 52mph and is completely
gone by 57mph.  I inspected the suspension and everything is tight as it
should be.  I also checked the hub for play and there was none.  I am
thinking it is an out of balance tire.  I am going to put this wheel on the
rear and see if the problem goes away.  Anyone else have any suggestions as
to what the problem may be.  Just a note:  I replaced all the rubber in the
steering and suspension systems, and new ball joints and tie rod ends.  All
of these components seemed snug and fine.
Thanks,
Cary