Re: brake squeak

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake squeak
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 22:30:14 -0700
 John---If your brake pads are dragging against the caliper (I'll assume
it's the front ones that you hear) snapping the steering wheel from
right to left to right a couple of times should knock back the pads. If
it doesn't, take off whichever wheel you think the squeak is coming from
to see if the pads can be moved a little, by hand. (They should)

To be sure t's not the rear brakes, use only the hand brake when
stopping to see if anything changes, noise wise.

The trim rings on these wheels have been known to cause a squeak as they
flex. If in doubt, remove them one at a time and test.

Dick

From: jlumia@ball.com(Lumia, John)
I have what one person in the archive calls a brake "squeak", in other
words a noise that occurs while the vehicle is rolling and the brakes
are not applied. The archives were somewhat inconclusive about the fix,
so I'm asking the list for the latest thinking on this subject. I
replaced the pads about three years ago, but didn't turn the rotors
although I did use the metal shims. The squeak has been getting worse
since last year, and slight turning of the wheel makes it worse. I
checked the wheels for play and readjusted the front wheel bearings last
year, but didn't really seem to help. FWIW I get some "squealing" (pad
to caliper noise heard when braking) too, but tends to go away if I
apply the brakes hard. Any help appreciated.
John Lumia - 1976 TR6
Louisville, CO