brake squeak

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: brake squeak
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:57:01 -0600
I have what one person in the archive calls a brake "squeak", in other
words a noise that occurs while the vehicle is rolling and the brakes
are not applied.  The archives were somewhat inconclusive about the fix,
so I'm asking the list for the latest thinking on this subject.  I
replaced the pads about three years ago, but didn't turn the rotors
although I did use the metal shims.  The squeak has been getting worse
since last year, and slight turning of the wheel makes it worse.  I
checked the wheels for play and readjusted the front wheel bearings last
year, but didn't really seem to help.  FWIW I get some "squealing" (pad
to caliper noise heard when braking) too, but tends to go away if I
apply the brakes hard.  Any help appreciated.

John Lumia - 1976 TR6

Louisville, CO