Report of Completed Rear Suspension Work

To: "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Report of Completed Rear Suspension Work
From: "Robert Fabie" <bfabie@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 23:14:34 -0400
Over the past three months, I've been working on several projects to
restore/enhance my rear suspension.
Except for an annoying clunking rear-end, my car drove perfectly well before I
decided to compete the rear suspension project as part of my ongoing
restoration.
I completed all the work yesterday and I thought I would briefly share my
overall impressions in the hopes that others may find the information useful.
I did the following:

1. Differential was completely rebuilt and I powder coated the housing.
2. polyurethane bushings installed on differential mounts and trailing arms
3. tube shock conversion installed
4. new u-joints
5. new/reconditioned wheel hubs
6. new rear brakes- every piece is new and I powder coated the backing plates
7. new road springs
8. new brake lines and hoses
9. new Monza exhaust

Results:
The car rides noticeably firmer and tighter. It handles superbly. The rear
barely squats under heavy acceleration. The rear end clunk is completely gone.
Among the best improvements I have every done to the car. I highly recommend
these enhancements if anyone is wondering if they are worth it.

I replaced the Monza exhaust  which had been on the car for at least fifteen
years with an identical Monza exhaust. I made the mistake of thinking that the
exhaust had to be removed in order to drop the differential - it doesn't.
However, prior to realizing that, while in  the process of removing the pipes,
I messed up the exhaust pipe joints with an air hammer and, well, you know how
ship-rights disease can creep in...

The differential was rebuilt by a Northern Va speed shop who has been
rebuilding rear ends since the late 70s. I furnished all the seals, bearings,
spacers and washers which I sourced from the big three. Except for the fact
that the TR6 differential is smaller than most American muscle cars, they're
all the same. His work was excellent and the proof is in the results. By the
way, you don't have to spend $1,100 plus shipping to have your rear end
completely rebuilt and set-up.

I purchased the reconditioned wheel hubs, springs, bushings and tube shock
conversion from British Parts Northwest - an excellent retailer. Most of the
differential parts came from Moss. Most of the brake parts came from TRF, as
did the Monza exhaust. In my opinion, the Monza/PaceSetter exhaust sounds very
good to my ear. The actual tail pipes have been beefed up and are now made of
polished stainless steel , unlike the ones previously on the car. I think the
four pipe set-up looks very good to my eye. Quality control of the exhaust
components is terrible. Brackets that are supposed to plug-and-play with welded
brackets on the exhaust pipes and mufflers don't even come close. The "rubber"
insulators they provide are made of crap that crumbles as the attachment bolts
are tightened. Getting the four pipes to line up took more time than I care to
admit. My recommendation to anyone intending to upgrade their exhaust is to
take your car to a specialty exhaust shop and have them i!
 nstall a custom exhaust. I'm pretty sure it will cost no more and possible
less than the Sport or Falcon system.

Anyone who would like to see pictures or needs more info, please let me know.

Bob
Frederickburg, Va
'75 TR6

Robert Fabie