Re: TR6 uptime

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 uptime
From: "fivefreyers@juno.com" <fivefreyers@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 03:16:43 GMT
I have had my "6" for six years. I drive it from spring break (ya-hoo!) to
about Thanksgiving. I average about eight days per year "down time" - not
because it has failed me. I have never taken my car to a shop. With the help
of the shop manual and this incredible list, I have been able to do everything
myself. I have little, or no, mechanical ability or special skill, but I can
follow directions and I am tenacious. I have done several mid-difficulty
repairs and upgrades with most satisfying results. (Restuffed seats, new slave
cylinder, new sending unit gasket, fixed all lights, etc.)
The "6" has failed me only once in six years (with my wife in the car with me,
darn it all!) and that was only a bad rotor which I diagnosed myself by
following the troubleshooting section in the Haines manual.
In the internet age, this is a terrific hobby, totally do-able by a someone
who wants to learn. No internet - I don't know if I would still own a TR6. I
am about to replace my rear trailing arm bushings and am totally confident I
can do it, even though I never have tried this before, because of the advice
I've read on this list.
That said, I love my car and owe more to this list than these kind folks will
ever know. (Thank you, all of you, by the way. I wish I could personally thank
several of you for what you have done to help me without you even knowing
it!)
Bret Freyer, Portland. OR. '74 TR6