Re: Getting the brake drum back on

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Getting the brake drum back on
From: <jfarris@troy.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:02:02 -0600
I wrote the list last week asking about a vibration occuring
in a 73 TR6 in 3rd and 4th gears between 2,500 and 3,000
RPMs.

Your troubleshooting ideas were great, but my son finally
had to take it somewhere that had a lift to pinpoint the
actual culprit.  It is the rear driveshaft u-joint.  We're
going to let the shop in Auburn install it, but they
recommended a rebuilt unit and remove and replace.  Luckily
I was driving through Birmingham yesterday when my son
called with the news.  I dropped by Matthews Parts and
picked up a used driveshaft and new u-joints.  A shop in
Montgomery will rebuild and balance the drive shaft.

Richard at Matthews Parts was great to work with, you may
have seen them selling new and used parts on eBay.  The have
used Triumph, MG, and Jaguar parts - (800) 533-3839 NFI.

Thanks again to all that suggested ideas for troubleshooting.
Tires & wheels were round and balanced.
Vibration mostly in the seat of the pants.
Motor and gearbox mounts OK.
Axles and hubs felt OK.
Road speed versus RPM based (this one made it hard to figure
out).
The u-joints felt ok twisting them by hand.  It took running
it while on the lift to pinpoint the problem.

Ciao,
Jim Farris
Montgomery AL