Re: Caliper pistons

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Caliper pistons
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 23:44:17 -0700
Michael---The pistons should retract just as you thought, with just a
litttle pressure against them with a soft tool. Since this isn't working
for you, obviously something is holding them out. (Anti-squeal spray get
on them)?
If they can't retract a few thousandths as they should when releasing
the brake pedal, the brakes could drag. I'd suggest removing the brake
pads and carefully press on the brake pedal so the pistons expose their
ends, far enough to see if there is something on them that can be
cleaned off. Try brake fluid, as a start.  Then crack open the bleed
nipple, as Jeff suggested, as you push the pistons back into their bore.
If the pistons still refuse to move readily, the calipers should be
removed to determine the cause.

Dick

From: SamuelsMA@aol.com Date: Sun, Listers:
I posted a note a few days ago that I removed the brake shims and used
anti-squeal compound on the backs of the pads. That seemed to get rid of
the squeal. However, a couple of days later the squeal was back. I
decided to use the shims with the anti-squeal spray.
My question is this: How do you get the caliper pistons back into the
caliper to allow a thicker pad assembly to fit compared to what you
removed? This must be a problem any time you remove worn (thin) brake
pads and replace them with new (thick) ones. I did open the cap on the
master cylinder, tie a rag around the opening, and used a large,
flat-blade screwdriver to try to push the pistons in. It didn't seem to
budge anything, and I didn't want to damage the pistons or the discs. I
ended up tapping the pads/shims back in with a hammer, but that chewed
up the lower edge of the pads somewhat. I'm sure there is a better
solution.
Thanks. BTW, the squeal is gone again, at least for now...
Michael
'76 Tahiti Blue
CF 57044U