Re: Horn Works Too well

To: bamxn@triad.rr.com (Bruce Moxon), 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Horn Works Too well
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:22:39 -0700
Bruce---The horn setup in the TR leaves a lot to be desired as they age.
Chasis flexing seems to be the main culprit, even after replacing
steering bushings and horn parts. I would advise making slight changes
to the horn push contacts so they're not so sensitive to the touch, yet
still allowing the horn to operate. You can do this by bending soe of
these parts to where the horn doesn't operate at all, then working your
way back.  The horn may still blow momentarily when the steering wheel
is cranked under road load, but I was told this an acceptable compromise
for the earlier TR.

There are other "adjustments" that seem to work on the later TR.
Loosening the upper shaft at the splined (rubber) connection and
levering it upward about 1/16 inch makes the horn less sensitive to
unwarranted sounding.

Dick