Cracks in the rear frame - not diff

To: "Six Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cracks in the rear frame - not diff
From: "Jim Farris" <jfarris@troy.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:13:07 -0500
Good morning listers,

During some routine maintenance we found cracks in the welds holding the
rear differential sub assembly cross member to the main frame rails.  Both
sides are cracked where the cross member angles down and joins the frame
rail, the joining seam, just below the shock mounts.  One side is cracked
along the side, perpendicular to the main rail.  We do have the tubular
shock conversion that bolts into the lever shock holes.  When we finish the
front end rebuild, we'll take it to a local restoration shop and have it
welded.

My questions are:

Is this a typical place for cracks?

Should I have them just grid out the welds and reweld?

Or, install gussets along the sides and maybe a strap coming down the cross
member and onto the frame rail.

Thanks in advance - I could do a couple of digital pictures if that would
help.

Jim Farris