Re: Parts washing

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Parts washing
From: "John Dombey" <JDombey@dotcast.com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 08:38:03 -0700
Don et al,

This just makes me cringe.  Every morning on my way to work I pass the
remains of a house that burned to the ground as a result of the owner
cleaning some car parts with gasoline.  I don't know exactly what
happened, but something sparked, he went to the hospital severely burned
and subsequently into a hole in the ground.  This must have been six
years ago or so, and the gutted shell of the house remains a daily
reminder that there is definitely a wrong way to clean parts.

I'm not sure what the right way is - probably simple green or something.
I tend to use a screw driver, followed by brake cleaner in a convenient
spray can.  The stuff removes most everything, and evaporates quickly
with no residue.  It's probably flammable, but it dissipates so quickly
that it's probably not an issue.

John Dombey
CC29532

> Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 05:49:59 -0400
> From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: Parts washing
> I'm in a rural area. I used a screw driver, followed by gasoline and a
stiff brush, followed by
> mineral spirits and a paint brush, followed by bead blasting. Probably
would not have been
> appropriate inside the city limits. :-)
> Good question though. I'd like to know the right way to do it too.
Probably need a parts cleaner and