Re: Lucas distributors, caps, and rotors

To: peb3@cornell.edu, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lucas distributors, caps, and rotors
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:47:44 EDT
Today, I tried to fire up my newly rebuilt engine.  I found that my Crane
xr700 unit had given up the ghost.  Fortunately, I found an old set of points
and
the car fired right up.  Now I have a delima.  Do I spend $130.00 on a new
Crane unit, or  $10.00 for a new points/condenser?  As far as I know, my
distributor is healthy.  I never had any trouble with the points set up before,
and I
can't say I recognized a performance improvement with the Crane set up.  I
know this has been beaten to death, but on a warmed over street engine, is
there
a noticeable performance improvement with the Crane and a sport coil?  Is
reliability enhanced significantly?  I'm fiddling with the car constanttly, so
don't mind the maintanance associated with the points
Joe Davis