RE: Smoking at the light

To: Mark Hooper <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Subject: RE: Smoking at the light
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 15:31:37 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Mark Hooper wrote:

> I have roller rockers on a recently rebuilt head and the auxilliary
> oil feed installed. No smoking, but a strong gaseous smell about the
> car when running. I don't want to reduce the oiling with the rollers
> installed, but I do want to think about seals. What is involved in
> fitting them? Is there any machining work to be done on the head in
> order to fit valve stem seals?

Gaseous smell? Is there any chance that the occupants had beans in the
recent past? =:-0

Regarding the valve-stem seals, there are a lot of choices out there. The
_right choice_ depends on how you install the valves and springs.

For example, I've been using some springs that I picked up from Piper
cams that are single coils... they provide more than ample seat pressure.
So I run them without the pressed steel thingie and the spacer that the
factory used for the double spring installation. As a result, the
installtion of the seals is not constrained by having to fit these parts
over the seal. So the machinist just installed them and that was that. The
ones that we installed are actually a tad wider than the valve guide, so I
can never install the stock factory spring setup on the head unless I
install new guides.

I've got lots of hours on the two motors that I did this too, and they
work fine and neither motor burns any oil.

There are other seals that you can use the allow you to fit the collar and
spacer thingies for the factory double valve spring installation, but all
the seals of that type that I've seen require the valve guide to be cut
down at one end to accomodate the seal. Goodparts sells guides like this
so this is a simple installtion if you are doing a valve job and valve
guide replacement. There are others.

Regarding the post about "how did you find the seals that fit?", the
answer is pretty simple. Many automotive machinists have books with data
on the cutting dimensions and finishes needed for valves, guides, pistons,
etc. A "good" machinist can scan through the books and find similar parts
dimensions and use that info to zero in on a solution. This is an example
of "you get what you pay for". Regarding same, the machinist that I've
been using for the last 10 years decided to retire recently. I am totally
bummed by the prospect because this guy was awsome! And his shop was like
a museum of motors... he and I hooked right up when I recognized a Packard
V-12 engine block (two actually) and asked him if it was a Packard block.
He knew then that I was a "car guy". And not like the "car guys" on the TV
show... a real car guy that knows the subject and does the work.

I'm going to miss ol' Charlie!

> Mark
> 1972 TR6

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx