Re: Vacuum advance

To: Adam C Beasley <adam@adambeasley.com>
Subject: Re: Vacuum advance
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:43:13 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Adam C Beasley wrote:

> Is there any reason to use the vacuum advance on my distributor?  What does
> advancing the ignition by vacuum accomplish?

If you have a '73 with the stock dizzy, the vac. thing is vac. retard, not
advance. All the stuff that Gene said is true, the retard is there to help
the motor produce less idle emmisions and if the motor heats up too much
(a byproduct of the retarded ignition timing) the idle will climb which
circulates more coolant through the radiator.

The answer to the question of why use vac. advance is that you can get
better fuel economy when it is set up right.

But only early TR6's had vac. advance. Actually, they had advance AND
retard (there were two "cans" on these dizzy's).

> Thanks,
>

> Adam
>
> 73 TR6

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489