RE: Vacuum advance

To: "'Adam C Beasley'" <adam@adambeasley.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Vacuum advance
From: "Gene Hart" <genehart@att.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:49:10 -0500
On the 1973 TR6 it's to keep the coolant temp down, and the emissions
low while idling in hot summer traffic:

IE:

When the car heats up, the sensor on the hose at the end of the vacume
line by the front of the RAD opens the vacume line back to dizzy, this
makes the car idle a bit faster, by pulling on the springs in the dizzy
this advances (or retards the timing, don't remember which way right
now) getting more water through to the radiator. It's really an emission
issue, when the car is hot, and idles a bit faster, than the emissions
are reduced. I'm sure there is someone on the list that can attest to
the reason. But their you have it, BL and Triumph did have something in
mind when they installed those things.

BTW- On most of out old TR's these diaphragms on the vacume are worn
out, and actually don't work, so unless you check the dizzy diaphragm
and the sensor at the hose, plus make sure the vacume is getting to the
unit from the carbs, then it's not working anyway... Just when you
thought all your winter projects were done huh...

Gene,
CF10918U now a UO yippie
1973 Pimento with black
Cell - 201-981-3327