Re: anyone know what "TR" stands for?

To: "Greg Dito" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>, "jeff m" <jmackd1@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: anyone know what "TR" stands for?
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:43:50 -0000
Greg Dito wrote:

> Let me correct myself.  The TR2 was Triumph's first production roadster.
> The TR that started it all was the prototype TR1 that made the showcar
> circuit in the early fifties.  Looked nothing like the TR2 in case anyone
> was wondering.

It may be splitting hairs, but the first post-war Triumph Roadster was the
long bonnet 1800/2000cc car with rear dickey seat. This was followed by the
ill-fated 'Bullitt' (experimental) and then 20TS - the two seater that
appeared at the 1952 London Motor Show. This was the car condemned by Ken
Richardson (the TR2 pre-cursor) that re-appeared a year later as the TR2.

Jonmac