Re: Donuts....Conversion

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>, 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Donuts....Conversion
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:56:55 -0500
Hi Dick,

We are miscommunicating. It's the email :-)

I have the part you mention -- the splined hub extension. It came with the
Dayton WW from TRF. Well
sort of, you have to buy a set.

I thought you were saying that after you removed the solid wheels, there was
something about the
remaining hub that had to be changed (that is removed) and replaced with some
different kind of hub
that would work only with wire wheels. Something more than the bolt on WW
splined hub extension.

I believe the MGB is like that. You must remove the solid wheel hub and replace
it with a wire wheel
hub. Maybe the rear axles are even different. I'm not sure. But it's a big
deal. It's not like the
TR250/TR6 where you simply bolt the wire wheel hub extension onto the old solid
wheel hub's lug
bolts. I will find out for sure sooner or later. I have a new BMH MGB Body
shell (still in the
crate) and some MGB parts cars with wire wheels to go with it.

I'll check the MGB TRF catalog at home tonight, and get a better idea of it.

Anyway, my notion is to keep the 5/8" longer solid wheel lug bolts, use these
5/8" or so "spacers"
between the solid wheel hub and the WW splined hub extension, and then use a
solid wheel spare. Of
course, what I'd really like is a space saver spare, or no spare at all if
there was some way to
patch a tube on the road. I get the drift that you there's no magic, and you
can't patch tubes on
the road.

Randall over at Triumphs@autox.team.net says the space savers are tricky....

 >Even if the bolt circle, offset and diameter match, you still have to worry
 >about interference with the calipers and hub on a TR.  The 15" compact spare
 >I got from the junkyard (possibly from a Nissan Maxima) hit the front
 >calipers on my TR3A.  Wheel swaps are not for the faint of heart, and you
 >have to be prepared for them not to fit when you get to your particular car.

Don Malling

Randall's list follows....

Here's the list I have.  Has some mistakes (if you spot one, please let me
know) :

1961-63 Buick Special
All     Chevrolet Corvair
All     Chevrolet Chevy II
1961-70 Chevrolet Nova
1989-85 CHEVROLET Sprint
1993-84 Dodge Colt
1996-92 EAGLE - Summit Wagon
64-74 Ford - all midsize w/4 bolt
        Fairlane, Falcon, Maverick, Mustang
87-93   Festiva (12x4)
1993-84 Summit
1996-89 GEO - Metro, Sprint
1999-91 HYUNDAI - Elantra, Lantra
1999-90 Accent, Excel, Pony
1999-89 Hyundai Sonata
1995-90 Hyundai Scoupe
1989-81 MAZDA - 323, GLC
1987-85 Mazda 626, MX-6
1998-92 MITSUBISHI - Expo, Expo LRV, Vista Wagon
1999-84 Mitsubishi Galant
1993-84 Mirage
1991-80 Tredia
93-01 NISSAN - Altima (15x6 FWD)
79-83   Stanza (13x4.5 FWD)
87-92   Stanza (14x6 FWD)
85-88   Maxima (15x6 FWD)
83-86   Sentra (13x5.5 FWD)
84-88   200SX & Turbo (15x6 FWD)
89-96   240SX (14x5.5 FWD)
70-85   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (14x6 RWD)
84-86   300ZX (14x6 RWD)
1961-63 Oldsmobile F85
1990-78 B310, Pulsar
1986-82 Sunny
1999-84 PLYMOUTH - Colt Vista
1985-79 Plymouth Arrow, Champ
1979-88 Plymouth Sapporo
1999-89 SUZUKI - Swift
1991-83 SAAB - 900
76-85 TOYOTA - Celica (14x6)
85-88   Cressida (15x6)
79-82   Supra (14x6 FWD)
83-85   Supra L (15x6)

Also note that 115mm is a fairly common 4-bolt circle, and is NOT
interchangable with 4.5" (114.3mm).  The wheels may appear to fit, but
you'll have problems down the road with self-loosening lug nuts, breaking
studs, elongated holes, etc.

Randall