Re: U-joints

To: "6 Pack" <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: U-joints
From: "Richard Seaton" <rsh17@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:47:49 -0600
 Whether your u-joints come out easy or not is anyone's guess. I did have a
problem with my original axle shafts and paid someone who damaged the axle
hub, one out of six (drive shaft too) not bad. Luckily I had a spare. Maybe
I've gotten better, but I was able to remove 6 u-joints from my parts cars
quicker than it took me to clean my hands a few weeks ago. What seemed to make
a difference for me was to have a good solid surface to lay the axle on, an
anvil works very well. In this way all of the hammering force is transmitted
to moving the bearing cup and not absorbed by a block of wood. Instead of
using and ruining a 3/4" socket a piece of 3/4" solid box stock was used and a
2lbs hand sledge hammer. This was to get one side most of the way (Let the cup
hang over the edge of the anvil to get it out past flush) out then it was beat
back the other way to loosen the other cap.
   Then a vice was opened to lightly hold the "ears" of the axle and the caps
were beat out. Sorry but I'm not sure how I could explain my technique, maybe
someone else is better with their words.
  For reinstallation of the caps, make sure to have the male part of the
u-joint inside the cap to keep the needle bearings from falling out. Get one
cap  tapped all the way in with a hammer, then put the opposite cap on and
press it in place w/ a vise, but when doing this make sure that the male end
is inserted part way inside the cap (don't want the bearings falling out out
this one either). If the cap wont go past the snap ring grove on both sides
then one of the needle bearings has been dislocated and the job will have to
be done again!!!

OH yeah you will need to remove the grease fitting when installing or
removing.

  If you do get the bearing caps out, make sure to put anti seize on them when
reassembling!! Next time it will be very easy.

 You should be able to remove the drive shaft on a single pipe exhaust w/o
removing the exhaust pipes. At worst remove the exhaust clap by the rear
tranny mount.

 Good luck

Richard Seaton
RSH17@msn.com<mailto:RSH17@msn.com>