Re: U-joints

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: U-joints
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:51:14 -0800
Bill----I'm with Darrell on this one. Changing these 'joints could not
be considered one of the fun jobs to be done on the TR.
It's not necessarily true that if one joint needs changed, that all
should be changed. They wear out for different reasons, one, being the
amount of flexing they are subject to, rather than age.  There is a
nuisance value to be considered when doing the propshaft. In this case,
I would do them both, given the extra time to get to it, and that the
unit is now out of the car.

As an aside, I recently changed the Last, original u-joint on an axle.
Far beyond the life of the other five, but it does show that the life of
these things is anywhere from 50,000 to 308,000 miles. (No Zerk fiting
on the original)

Do one to see how things go. Don't be surprised if it s stubborn to
remove, to the point of where a torch is necessary to press it out..
I've also broken a vise casting in the process!

Dick

Bill wrote:
Hi Listers,
                I have read that if you
have to replace one U-Joint in the TR6, then it is a good idea to
replace all of them ... OK ... can anyone tell me just how difficult
that is for a average mechanic (me) with very little experience in the
TR6   (TR3s I know) ??   Or is it something I should have done by a
professional?   And if that is the case is there a pro in Northern
California ... anywhere within 100 miles of Sacramento that you would go
to? Or if a group of TR6rs would like to help with the project here in
Wallace I would gladly provide food and strong beverages ... <G> it
would be a big help and besides you would get to see and work on a true
Concours TR6 ... well OK, it used to be concours ... until Fred Thomas
powder coated the valve cover and air filter box ... <G> just kidding
Fred, they look great. Last question if I take it to a pro what should I
expect to pay??
                Thanks for all the sage
advice so far. We are making progress, fuel tank leak is fixed, clutch
has been adjusted, header pipe gasket replaced, fan belt replaced, dizzy
cap replaced (after a trip to the shop via AAA tow truck), all  the gunk
cleaned out of the trunk/spare tire space ... been leaking gas for some
time ... rear brakes adjusted, after freeing up frozen adjuster (good
advice there from the list). BTW when I said "we" I was including
AnnaBelle, she has been right by my side helping with all the projects
... whatagal!!!   Girlfriend, or puppy?!
Thanks again for your help
--
Bill Pugh
1957 TR3 TS16765L