J-Type clutch specs

To: <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: J-Type clutch specs
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:49:01 -0800
    Folks:

        A while back I asked if anyone knew the specs for the clutch
friction material in the J-Type OD. Well, I got my rebuilt clutch from
John Esposito, and here is what I measured:

        Rebuilt clutch: 0.100"
        My slipping clutch: 0.040"

    My clutch would only slip in reverse when everything was nice and
hot. Sometimes it would slip quite badly, other times it was barely
noticeable.
    I mention this because there is a group buy going on out there.
Based on my experience, I would suggest that you measure your clutch
material to see if it is worn out. Since you will have no idea how many
miles might be on the used ODs, you probably should check first to see
if the clutch needs to be replaced. Anything salvaged from a 1980 Volvo
has a high likelihood of needing a new clutch, if my experience is any
indication.
    My OD had been rebuilt, but as I understand it a typical rebuild
will usually not include a new clutch. It will be be cleaned, inspected,
and all gaskets and o-rings will be replaced. Any bearings that are worn
may also be replaced, but the clutch is typically not touched. This is
probably the difference between the "cheapie" rebuild and the much more
expensive "John Esposito" rebuild.

        Cheers,

        Vance