RE: TR 6 Hardtops

To: "David Silveira" <david.silveira@adelphia.net>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR 6 Hardtops
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 15:37:14 -0800
        Dave:

        I bought one for $550 on eBay. I had it shipped up from Southern
California to Portland OR motor freight, for $200 (yikes). The freight
included a crating charge for the top.
        That is not the end of the expense, however. If it has the
original headliner, you will need to replace it, even if it has no rips
or tears (unlikely). The original headliners were glued in, and the glue
will discolor the material. It also does not age well at all, and it
will be extremely fragile such that the slightest pressure will cause a
tear.
        So plan on installing a new headliner for about $160 if you buy
one and put it in yourself, more if you have someone do it for you.
        All the rubber gaskets and what not will also need replacing as
well, as the original ones will be flatter than a pancake and will let
the hard top rub against the paint on your car, damaging it. Depending
the color of the top you procure and the color of your car, you will
also want it painted.
        Figure $1000 minimum price of admission after you get everything
fixed.

        Cheers,

        Vance