RE: Volvo Overdrive Unit

To: "'Robert Liam Gannon'" <trsix74@comcast.net>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Volvo Overdrive Unit
From: "Patrick Bitton" <pbitton@tr-6.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 21:35:03 -0500
Good point Robert. I bought one from someguy on Ebay(person in New
Zealand). He advertised it as a TR-6 overdrive. Well, the flange had to
have new holes drilled. Then I had a local Triumph mechanic install the
overdrive on the transmission. That was fine. I then installed the
tranny with OD on my engine. Once my restoration project was
finished...I took the car out for a drive and noticed that the
speedometer was giving wrong readings. With a little bit of research...
it turns out it was from a Volvo and not a TR-6.

Therefore, even if the person advertises it as a TR-6 OD, make sure that
he guarantees that it is. Have it checked out and you will not have to
learn the hard way as I did.

Now, all I can do is keep up with the flow of traffic and I won't get a
ticket. It will be too much of a pain to replace the gear. Maybe in a
few years, when I have nothing to do.

Cheer,

Patrick