RE: Front Brakes and Slotted Rotors

To: <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Front Brakes and Slotted Rotors
From: "Mike D'Ambrogia" <miked@jamagination.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:19:39 -0800
<RML> Truthfully - can anyone on this list claim that they've ever
gotten the brakes/rotors hot enough to actually cause brake fade??

Not on the -6, but have boiled the front calipers so hard as to melt the
seal around the piston on my Dodge full size van on a trip coming out of
the mountains on a windy dirt road w/obligitory large cliff on one side
of the road.  Melted seal and fluid boiled out onto red hot rotors in
big oozing flaming blob.  Quite a ride out using the emergency brake.
Of course as the brakes were fading out my SO in the passenger seat with
the 1k' view down the canyon on her side mentioned "can you imagine the
brakes going out here?".  Me:"Uuhhh, ya baby I can, your seat belt on??"