Re: cam shafts

To: <Lizirbydavis@cs.com>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: cam shafts
From: <trinitygadget@alltel.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:20:48 -0500
Joe--I did a lot of soul searching as last winter's project with the kind help
of Greg Dito.  Here's my setup that I'm thrilled with:

Isky Z-19 cam (268 duration, 0.400 lift) based on a regrind of a non-streetable
Kent KTH2/6 Sports 'R' cam I had that was only lightly used.  The regrind was
$68.50.
APT nitrided lifters, $120 (this is an absolute must)--I believe PRI sells a
set with a weep hole in each lifter's face for better lubrication of the cam
lobe.  The Kent is similar to Ted's. If that's we're you stop, you haven't
broken $200.

But I also shaved my head from 4.550 to 4.430 to get me somewhere near 9.5:1
compression ratio and bought a set of TSI's Chromoly pushrods shortened by
0.120 over stock ($100).  The head work with new valve springs (reused the
valves) etc. was about $450.

The component R&R labor was "free" (I paid myself). The difference was simply
amazing.  You don't need cam bearings if you keep the cam lift below 0.450 or
so.

Rick O.
72 TR6

Check out the new British Cars Forum: