cam shafts

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: cam shafts
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:31:21 -0400
I'm beginning to sort out options for a bottom end engine rebuild.  Sadly,
money is an issue, so I'd like the most "bang for my buck".  I tallked to Ted
Schumaker last week about cam shafts.  He recommended his 275 degree cam shaft
as opposed to his S2 or Richard Goods GP2 cam.  He describes this as a "flat
power curve cam", which will give the low end torque I want as well as a lively
top end beyond 4500 rpms.  I confess I have relatively little knowledge about
cams beyond the basics.  Does anyone have any experience with this cam?  My
real question is:  Is there a draw back in using a reground cam vs. a new blank
cam?  I understand that hardness is an issue? I'd like to save the 3 extra
$150.00 for more machine work.  Also, is there a good source for "new" lifters
that are hard enough. I've heard that there are no good lifters out there.I
have stock double valve springs, and I hope to not have to put in cam bearings
(again, cost).     ThanksJoe Davis

Check out the new British Cars Forum: