BODY MOUNTING AND DOOR GAP

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: BODY MOUNTING AND DOOR GAP
From: Bob Coote <cooteb@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 16:55:33 -0600
I am at the stage of mounting the body of my 69 TR6 onto a "new" frame, and
am having a problem getting the rear gap at the top of the doors to close
up. My replacement frame has had all the repairs done and
measures "true", but in order to get the rear edge of the doors to line up,
it takes about an inch of shims at the rear end of the frame, which isn't
reasonable and would cause problems installing the rear bumper and its
brackets.  I started out with a new body mounting kit and the pads and
spacers in pIace as described in my parts book, and then have tried various
combinations of adding and removing them, with no noticeable improvement,
and now am stumped about what to do next.  Thoughts of buying a miata keep
occurring, but I haven't given up on the TR yet. We've been together too
long.  I've stopped doing any more reassembly until I get the body fitted
right. I'm thinking of trying to use a cable and turnbuckle system to pull
the rear door pillar into alignment, with the doors and then somehow forcing
the rear of the body down onto the frame, but I'm worried about causing
serious damage, and haven't quite figured out how to do it anyway.

If anyone has some experience with this sort of problem, I'd really
appreciate some advice.
Thanks in advance.

Bob Coote
Calgary