Re: removing crankshaft pulley bolt

To: "Jim Jones" <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: removing crankshaft pulley bolt
From: "Greg Dito" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 01:40:42 -0400
Jim,

Only dumb questions are those that don't get asked.  There are four ways of
doing this that I am aware of, with the idea of keeping the crank from
turning when applying the removal torque to the bolt.

One is to remove the starter and jam a piece of wood against the flywheel
gear.  Crude but it works with the right piece of wood.  Another is to
remove the oil pan and jam something between one of the crack throws and the
side of the block (I usually used the wooden handle of a hammer).  Replace
the pan gasket with a new one, of course.  Still another is to get something
like a heavy long screwdriver through one of the u-point yokes either in the
driveshaft or rear axles and allow it to jam up against the body or chassis
as you turn the bolt.  Again, a quick and dirty solution.

Probably a more sensible method is to remove the fan, buy a piece of angle
iron, drill two holes that will line up with two of the four holes in the
fan extension, bolt it in place and then use a decent breaker bar to break
the bolt free while holding the bar with the other hand.  You could also
just let the bar contact the chassis so it cannot turn as you apply the
removal torque.  There should not be that much force applied against the
chassis, or engine bay sheetmetal even, to worry about damaging something.
This method may require removing some material from the angle iron to clear
the bolt hex head.

Oh, yes, to my recollection the bolt thread is standard.  So go
counterclockwise to loosen.

Greg Dito
CD6250L