J-Type questions

To: "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: J-Type questions
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:26:06 -0700
        Listers:

        An interesting problem has suddenly cropped up with my J-Type
OD. At least,
I think it is a problem with the OD. The car behaves like the clutch is
slipping,
but only in reverse. Since the I cannot make the clutch slip in any
forward gear,
I have concluded that clutch slippage is unlikely, and my attention has
turned to
the OD.

        As you may recall, I added a J-Type OD, from a Volvo, over the
winter.
The OD was used, but supposedly rebuilt. When I opened it up, it
certainly
looked rebuilt, since everything was clean and shiny, and the gaskets
etc.
looked new.

        My reasoning went something like this:

        1. If it is the new Borg & Beck clutch, it should be even more
prone to slip in
3rd and 4th, especially when going uphill or heavily loaded. Since it
never slips
under these conditions, it rules out my new Borg and Beck.
        2. The J-Type OD also has a clutch (2 of them - one is used
while the OD is engaged,
the other is used when the OD is disengaged.) So the slipping clutch may
in fact be in the
OD rather than the tranny.
        3. There is a unidirectional coupling in the OD that will engage
in
any FORWARD gear if the clutch slips, effectively preventing the OD
clutch
from slipping enough for me to notice in any forward gear.
        4. In reverse and during overrun, the OD unidirectional coupling
disengages,
leaving only the OD clutch to transmit power to the wheels. This would
explain
why it only seems to slip in reverse.

        OK, if you follow that and you agree, then here are my questions
oh grand
masters of TRSixdom:

        1. Is there an adjustment that might be needed to eliminate the
slippage? How
is the adjustment made?
        2. If there is no adjustment possible, what other items should
be checked
as possible causes of slippage?
        3. Does this signal a worn clutch in the OD? I can get the
clutch resurfaced
to recondition it. Anyone ever done this? If the friction material is
worn or
damaged, I thought I might try getting new friction material bonded to
the clutch.
        4. Any other possibilities or options come to mind?

        Thanks for your suggestions.

        Vance