Continuing Rear Camber Problem (longish)

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Continuing Rear Camber Problem (longish)
From: "Paul G. Edelstein" <pgedelstein@capitaltriumphregister.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:55:50 -0400
All,

Last summer and fall, as one of the last steps in my restoration, I did
considerable work on the rear end of my car to correct a long standing
negative camber problem.  For starters, both sides were bad but the right side
was much worse.  Left about -1.5 degrees, right about -2.25 degrees.

First, I replaced both springs (stock grade from TRF) and rubber bushes, and
added the aluminum spring spacers.  Helped a little, but not a lot.  Then, I
replaced the training arm mounts (again, stock grade from TRF), all bolts, and
all brackets (in stock configuration).  Again, helped a little, but not nearly
enough.

So, I meticulously measured and used the bracket configuration/camber angle
cross reference chart and replace/realigned the brackets as calculated.
VOILA!  Not perfect, but good enough -- both wheels less than 1/2 degree
negative and ride height exactly equal on both sides.  Thought I was done.

But now, about 600 miles later, I am noticing that the problem has mostly
returned.  And, the right side is again much worse than the left side.  The
angles are almost what they were at the beginning, particularly the >2
negative on the right side.  But both sides have "sagged", not just the right
side.

The frame seems (to me) solid around the mounting brackets.  The upper spring
pans also seem OK -- rusty but solid and whole.  And all other hardware
(springs, mounts, bushes, bolts, brackets) are brand new.  I considered than
maybe that the new rubber, springs, etc., had "settled" some, but replacing
ALL of the old with ALL of the new did not make that much difference in the
first place -- it was the brackets that really made the change.

I'm baffled.  Any ideas????

Thanks in advance.

Paul E.
Annandale, VA