Re: Tire Pressures for Different Sizes

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tire Pressures for Different Sizes
From: Douglas Morris <dcmdcm@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:42:23 -0400
Yeah, I unnerstan' the pressure/patch-size relationship.
What I'm trying to get my brain around is the effect of the wider-shorter
patch profile, lower aspect-ratio tire wall, and more modern construction.
One item of concern is the point of onset of hydroplaning.
See the Tire Rack tech article, below. I didn't see a tech-help link.
<http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/airpress_vs_wetperf.jsp>

It would seem to me that the wider tread would require more pressure to
compensate for the fact that the center of the patch is further from what
I'd guess is a more mechanically stiff edge. Maybe that's all cranked into
the tire design, but (in the famous words of Punk#1 in "Dirty Harry") I
gotsta know.

Anybody have a link to a technical source, here?

Doug Morris '74 (not me... the car)