Re: Clutch Throw

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch Throw
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:58:56 -0700
Ken---You are correct as to what you suspect. The original MC has the
.70 bore, which should give a SC pushrod throw of 1/2 inch. You should
get this when the pedal box linkage is relatively free of slop, and the
bore diameter is as stated.  Since you are not sure of where either the
MC or the SC came from, it's possible that the bore of the SC is too
large, so check this too,  against the original.

For what it's worth, fluid from bleeding the clutch can be reused in the
clutch system, as air bubbles do not cause the same problems as when in
the brake system.

Dick

Ken wrote:
Clutch throw questions
hi all -
This AM, the clutch went almost all the ay in before starting to
disengage, and there was quite an oil stain under the slave cyl. general
area.
Today I pulled both master and slave. both leaking, both bores corroded
- slave especially - leaking and not really reusable. A friend had a TR
master and slave he gave me. They were not labeled, but matched the
basic shape etc of the old ones. Today they went in. System filled, bled
and ready to try.
When I depress the clutch, it doesn't disengage. No air in the system;
almost 1qt of fluid used to flush and ensure this. Got underneath and
with SWMBO on the pedal, measured the throw of the slave rod. Roughly
3/8" plus/minus. I recall prior postings to others in which the clutch
throw was mentioned as being 1/2 inch. Mine ain't.
I believe I have a mismatch setup. The master when pressed, isn't
displacing enough fluid to fully throw the slave. Does this sound right?
I believe the master is probably for a GT6, the slave either a 6 or a
4A.
Will someone please confirm the throw length for me? I marked the slave
rod, had wife on the clutch, and when it, it moved only about 3/8" or
so. To me this reeks of a volume mismatch, is it? and should the throw
be 1/2 inch?
Any answers, advice, list help gratefully taken
Ken
73 TR6, CF7000U0