RE: Type A Overdrive Functionality

To: genehart@att.net
Subject: RE: Type A Overdrive Functionality
From: "Todd Bermudez" <red_tr250@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:50:09 -0400
Unless of course you put a Surrey Top on the car!

From: genehart@att.net
To: "Todd Bermudez" <red_tr250@hotmail.com>
CC: janah@att.net, 6pack@autox.team.net,
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:40:06 +0000

Hey All,

I have a Volvo 240 as my daily cummuter car. It has the overdrive with the
switch on the gear selector center console. It's always turned on. (I have a
94). The overdrive is fantastic, I run at 75MPH back and forth to work,
wiith great milage and only a wisper from the engine. When I disenge the
overdrive, the engine really screems. Recently I broke the OD relay and it
ran terrable, the OD would only engage intermitantly. I couldn't live
without it. I drove the Town & Country to work instead.

I've put a volvo (had esposito install and rebuild it) overdive I found on
e-bay in my '73 TR6 and while I haven't got it running yet (couple more
weeks) it should be a nice smooth ride at highway speeds. It also has a
berter ratio ten the original Triumph TR6 OD, about 71%, so I'll use all
that Big 6 low end to pass.

BTW-the addition of an overdrive is the one cost that you can make back on a
restoration. If you decide to sell the car, you can ask about $1K to $1,500
more for the car. For a typical tranny rebuild, and adding the rebuilt
J-Type from a Volvo is about $1500 to $1800 bucks. There is no other
restoration part, upgrade or rebuild that can get your money back like that.
Including Webbers, SU's, Superchargers, etc..

Nobody pays more, for a rebult suspension, chassis, body  or even a rebuilt
engine, those costs are expected within a restoration.

GH

--
Gene Hart
genehart@att.net

-------------- Original message from "Todd Bermudez" : --------------
 > John,
 >
 > A-Type 2nd,3rd, & 4th. More robust than j-type, but getting to find
parts.

 > J-Type 3rd & 4th. Many parts available as they were used in other
 > cars...Volvo 240 series.
 >
 > Todd
 >

 > From: "John & Allison Cyganowski"
 > To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
 > Subject: Type A Overdrive Functionality
 > Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 20:08:51 -0400
 >
 > Hi All-
 >
 > I have heard that the A type overdrive has more functionality than the J
 > type. What gears can you use the A overdrive in? What gears can you use
the
 > J overdrive in?
 >
 > John Cyg.

Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee.