RE: Type A Overdrive Functionality

To: "Todd Bermudez" <red_tr250@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Type A Overdrive Functionality
From: genehart@att.net
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:40:06 +0000
Hey All,

I have a Volvo 240 as my daily cummuter car. It has the overdrive with the
switch on the gear selector center console. It's always turned on. (I have a
94). The overdrive is fantastic, I run at 75MPH back and forth to work, wiith
great milage and only a wisper from the engine. When I disenge the overdrive,
the engine really screems. Recently I broke the OD relay and it ran terrable,
the OD would only engage intermitantly. I couldn't live without it. I drove the
Town & Country to work instead.

I've put a volvo (had esposito install and rebuild it) overdive I found on
e-bay in my '73 TR6 and while I haven't got it running yet (couple more weeks)
it should be a nice smooth ride at highway speeds. It also has a berter ratio
ten the original Triumph TR6 OD, about 71%, so I'll use all that Big 6 low end
to pass.

BTW-the addition of an overdrive is the one cost that you can make back on a
restoration. If you decide to sell the car, you can ask about $1K to $1,500
more for the car. For a typical tranny rebuild, and adding the rebuilt J-Type
from a Volvo is about $1500 to $1800 bucks. There is no other restoration part,
upgrade or rebuild that can get your money back like that. Including Webbers,
SU's, Superchargers, etc..

Nobody pays more, for a rebult suspension, chassis, body  or even a rebuilt
engine, those costs are expected within a restoration.

GH

--
Gene Hart
genehart@att.net