Re: Spam Alert: ZS needle selection - questions

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spam Alert: ZS needle selection - questions
From: "Nick Gemas" <gln@worldpath.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 07:46:07 -0400
Vance,
    I too am working on the same problem. I'm using a oxygen sensor to help
with tuning. I have pretty much the same mod's as you 10:1 comp and
Goodparts triple ZS's. I recently purchased 3 B1E and 3 B1AE needles and
tried them . The B1E was too rich at idle no matter how I set it, I tried
the B1AE next , the first carb I set just fine but I couldn't get the next
cab to lean out no matter what I did so I pulled them both out. This has me
wondering of a float level problem because the B1AE is leaner than the B1AF
at the top of the needle so I'm going to check the float level out on the
carb I had trouble with before I give up on the B1AE needle though. Although
my car seems to like a rich mixture at idle because of the mods I noticed a
fair amount of carbon on the piston tops and valve stems last year when I
pulled the head for some work, this was built up after only one season of
driving! So it seems that I need to stay close to the original needle specs
in the top area of the needle or it will run too rich at idle and get worse
when the under hood temps rise in stop and go traffic. Just for kicks I took
the cover off the temp. compensator and used a small screwdriver to open it
up to see what effect it had on mixture, it did have a very small effect, I
was surprised at how little it leaned out the mixture though. Let me know
what you find out.

Good Luck
Nick Gemas