screwy brakes

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: screwy brakes
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 21:24:43 EDT
Can someone help me sort out a braking problem?  Recently my brakes began
misbehaving.  The problem is episodic, and unpredictable.  The system is
completely fresh except for the front calipers.  I have a new master, all new
lines,
new wheel cylinders, new pads front and back.  I have no leaks.  Usually the
car has normal pedal feel and stops straight.  Occasionally however, I'll get
in
the car and the pedal is rock hard.  The car stops straight, but requires a
lot of effort.  In fact, much more effort than my non-booster TR4 did.
Occasionally, especially after driving for a while without using the brakes at
all,
I'll put on the brakes, the pedal feels much softer than it should, and the
car will pull really hard to the right, and I smell the brakes getting hot.
I'll
drive away from a stop, apply the brakes again, and they may be normal, rock
hard, or soft with the right pull.  I can't put together any factors that
relate to any consistent symptoms.  Any ideas?  I haven't checked the adjusters
on
the back yet.  BTW, my son and I visited the D-Day memorial in Bedford, Va.
today.  It was a gorgeous day in the TR (now burbling along happily in
OVERDRIVE!).  The visit was moving to say the least. The experience was
heightened by
the presence of so many D-Day Vets.   If you'all ever get a chance to visit,
it is well worth the trip.  Tomorrow especially, lets all remember the
sacrifices of those that have gone before us.
Joe Davis