Re: Gunst bearing results..?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gunst bearing results..?
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 00:04:55 -0700
List---and particularly those who have installed the Gunst kit. Up
front, I need to say that I have no financial interest in this setup. I
know Mr. Gunst only thru some of his written instructions that I used,
translated in part by Nelson Riedel, of buckeyetriumphs.org

Now for any who think that installing one of his bearings will forever
solve the problem of the chirping clutch, must realize a few things.
First, it must be installed with the included instructions.

The two, 3/8" dowels must be used to align the bellhousing with the
engine back plate. This will help keep the clutch (fingers) and bearing
spinning in concentric circles. If they do not, there will be undue
friction as they try to spin in different orbits together, especially at
light loads. This should also be true for any bearing used.

The preload should be used, as instructed. This keeps the bearing
spinning at the same speed as the clutch. No come-up time, as when a
non-loaded bearing must go from zero to X,000 rpm.

The wear on the front cover (transmission nose extension) should not be
excessive. The OD must not be worn more than a few thousandths. Anything
over .010 running clearance between the cover and carrier can cause
initial misalignment. (This would be true for any bearing used)

One should start with a new or reconditioned pressure plate. The fingers
should not have grooves from the use of another style bearing, with an
overlapping size. I have found nothing wrong with using the B&B cranked
finger style. (Bent near the ends)

Finally, after 10,000+ miles in using the Gunst, the preloaded bearing
has shown to have caused no measureable wear to the crankshaft thrust
washers. (I watched this closely, because frankly, I didn't know if it
would)
The bearing was silent thruout this mileage. No squeal, no chirp, smooth
as silk. It's the best one I've found yet for the TR-six.

This all started because so many of us were experiencing poor quality
and short lived T/O bearings, made by RHP. Parts suppliers also got
tired of our complaints and started looking for better substitutes. KOYO
was a good one, off-the-shelf, but larger and heavy. It can squeal, but
the bearing internals indicate they're well made.

I know some of you are probably tired of the subject. Me too, but to
date I'd never recommend anything else. For now, not even the Gunst
"knock-offs"!  More on this when the time comes...

Dick Taylor