Centering Steering Rack on Frame?

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Centering Steering Rack on Frame?
From: William Maslin <cwrm4@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 16:49:04 -0800 (PST)
Folks,

I'm installing a set of Goodparts steering rack mounts
and am having some debate over how best to center the
steering rack on the frame.

The PO had replaced the rack, but it was visibly off
center (which explains I think why one tie rod was
1/2" longer than the other...)

First I tried centering the rack by making each rack
flange equidistant from the edge of the respective
mounting pads attached to the frame.

Then, to double check, I made each rack flange
equidistant from the outer edge of the actual frame
(measured from where the anti-roll bar attaches).

Measuring against the frame pushes the rack flanges
about 1/8" to the right vs. where they were when
measured against the mounting feet.

Does anyone have any tricks for centering the rack on
the frame, or know what is the "right" reference
point?

Thanks,

William
'73 TR6