Re: Exhaust headers

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Exhaust headers
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:06:37 -0800 (PST)
Mike,

I have a 71 also, with similar mods (9.7:1 compression, 1.65 Goodparts
rockers, Goodparts GP3 cam).  Several years ago (prior to all the
engine mods) I got a Monza Pacesetter header and free flow exhaust.
The fit of the header was horrendous - I had to dent and ding many of
the pipes to make it clear the intake and the frame in some places.
But even with these dings, the power change was noticeable.

About 4 years ago I switched to a stainless header and exhaust from
Rimmer Brothers in the UK.  It is a 6-3-1 stainless header that ends in
a single 2.25" collector, then there is a single 2.25" stainless pipe
that runs back to a single stainless free flow muffler and ends in a
polished stainless tip.  I love this setup.  The header fit very well,
and the exhaust sounds great.  Now, fitting the header is slightly more
fiddly than with the stock cast iron manifold, but that's the price you
pay.  According to Kas Kastner, he had better power results with a
single 2.25" exhaust than with a dual exhaust using smaller diameter
pipes.  Since it looks like you are looking for more power, this might
be a good setup for you.

That said, last time I looked, Richard Good (of Goodparts) was using a
Monza header and with the stock pipes and muffler, and his car goes
like a bat out of hell.  I would love to do back to back dyno tests of
several exhaust setups (early header with stock single pipe, vs late
header with stock dual pipe, vs Rimmer sport system) to see what the
true power gains are.

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6